In this guide, we are going to outline for you the precautions you need to take after your hair transplant procedure. The do’s and don’ts of hair transplant aftercare are very important and it is vital that you adhere to these in order to get the most out of your new hair. We will start with general guidelines that will include precautions to take prior to your treatment, we will then proceed to run you through the more specific elements of care. All of the information included in this blog is intended to improve the success of your hair transplant and these are important to follow to the letter.
• Do not drink alcohol, caffeinated beverages or energy drinks for seven days after your procedure (as well as for seven days prior)
• Do not smoke, or use nicotine-based products for AT LEAST seven days after your procedure
• Do not use hair products for one month prior to your procedure, and for three months after your procedure. This applies to hair gel, wax, hairspray, pomade and other similar products
• Do not hit your head for seven days after your treatment, be especially careful when getting in and out of your vehicle
• Do not consume salty or overly unhealthy foods for 3 days after your transplant, such as chips, crisps or takeaways. Keep your diet as healthy as you can, for as long as you can. This will help the body heal
• Follow the recommendations given to you by your surgeon regarding prescriptions, medications, topical shampoos
• Do not touch your scalp, the donor site or anywhere else on your head for three days after your hair transplant. Do not rub the hair or the head making sure that you avoid friction of all kinds as this can have an adverse effect on the grafts themselves potentially dislodging them from your scalp
• After your first wash (your surgeon will give you specifics on timeframe and techniques) it is important that you use only paper towels to dry your hair. You must avoid using a towel, or a hairdryer. Furthermore, do not submerge your head in water; showers are preferable to baths.
• It is very common that your scalp will itch after your hair transplant. Do not scratch the scalp, your hair or your head in any way, shape or form. If your comfort becomes intense then we recommend that you contact your doctor
• Do not wear a hat or any headgear such as a bike helmet or a safety helmet for at least one month after your transplant
• Do not wear any item of clothing that would involve you pulling clothes on over your head. We recommend that you wear button-up shirts.
Sports And Physical Activities:
• Do not lift heavy weights or go to the gym for at least one week, avoid swimming in chlorinated water and the sea for one week also. If you sweat for whatever reason, use paper towels to softly dry the hair and your head
• Do not bend forward excessively for at least one week
• For at least three days after your transplant, we recommend avoiding sexual intercourse
• Contact sports such as football or boxing should be avoided for at least three months to ensure that the hair and scalp do not sustain any damage. You can, however, return to light exercise after ten days, and more strenuous (but not intense) after fifteen days
Styling Your Hair:
• As mentioned in our general guidelines section, avoid hair styling products for three months. Once this three-month period has elapsed you can return to using your favourite hair products, you must, however, make certain that the product is applied to the hair only, and not to the scalp. Your hair must be washed before you go to bed as falling asleep, leaving hair products in your hair is not advisable.
• Do not use wigs or any such product at any point during your lifetime.
We understand that some of the tips enclosed within this guide are strict, however, they are in place in order to protect your new hair transplant procedure. If you follow these to the letter and are vigilant in your aftercare regime, as well as adhering to the specialised advice that will be given to you by your surgeon/physician then we are certain that your new hair will heal quickly and safely.
If you would like to talk to us about a hair transplant procedure, or if you would like to book a free call then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. We will be more than happy to answer any questions or queries you might have, and look forward to speaking with you soon!