Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of hair follicles from one part of the body to another part of the body. The part from where the follicles are removed is called the donor site and the part being implanted, is the recipient site. This procedure is mainly used on people who experience male pattern baldness. The widely used techniques involve harvesting and transplantation of follicular units. The two techniques that are widely used are the FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). Hair transplant procedures are expensive, so if one considers getting this procedure, getting a hair transplant in Turkey is the most affordable option as the cost of hair transplant in Turkey is low as compared to other countries.
Duration of Stay
The surgery procedure lasts for around six to eight hours and is usually done in one day. If a patient schedules the hair transplant in Turkey, he or she should be prepared to stay for 2 days, including the day of the procedure. As the doctor applies bandages on the area of treatment and it will be required to be removed on the next day of the procedure. The patient can go home as long as the patient has proper transportation. There is no need to extend the stay unnecessarily unless some kind of complication occurs.
Do’s And Dont’s Before And After The Procedure
- It is advisable not to smoke for at least two weeks before and after the surgery. Especially not on the day of the procedure, because it causes the reduction of blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles. Blood flow is very important for the growth of hair. Avoiding smoking or completely quitting smoking can boost the growth of hair. It is better to start reducing the cigarette count daily a few months prior to the hair transplant in Turkey.
- It is not recommended to perform heavy activities or exercise for at least a week after the procedure. Exercises like excessive or impactful activities in the gym and running are completely prohibited. Activities that would cause excessive sweating should also be strictly ruled out. Slow walking or activities with minimum exertion are advised after the procedure.
- Exposure to direct sunlight immediately after the procedure or even a few days later should be avoided especially if the scalp has inflammation. If the need for going outdoors persists, it is advisable to wear a hat.
- It is recommended to avoid the consumption of aspirin or any other anti-inflammatory medications for at least a week before the procedure. Also, do not take any kind of medication or supplements the day before the procedure without consulting the performing surgeon.
- Consumption of alcohol or multivitamin supplements should be avoided for at least a week before and after the procedure. This is advised because alcohol interferes with the blood supply to the scalp.
- Doctors and surgeons advise patients to not indulge in any kind of sexual activity in the first couple of weeks because of hormone and interruption to the blood supply.
- The patient should make sure that he or she has proper transportation after the hair transplant in Turkey is over. If someone is there with the patient who can drive him or her home it would be better. The anaesthesia given to relieve pain and help you relax during the surgery takes time to wear off probably will not be worn off by the time the procedure is over.
Apart from these precautions, every surgeon has his own recommendations of post-operative instructions. It is best to strictly follow the guidelines of the surgeon to avoid any kind of complications. The recovery time a patient requires depends completely on the patient. Remember also that new hair takes about 3 to 4 months to grow, though in some cases, it might take up to 6 months. Rather than waiting for the hair to show up, it is better to be busy with work or hobby.
After the procedure, the scalp can be very sensitive. Consumption of medications for pain and swelling might be required for many days. The performing surgeon will have the patient wear bandages for at least a day or two. Antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory drug might be prescribed to consume for many days. Most people can return to work 2 to 5 days after the operation.
Within a month after the procedure, the transplanted hair will start to fall out, and the growth of new hair should be noticeable within a few months. Some doctors prescribe minoxidil (Rogaine) a hair drug to improve growth, although there isn’t much evidence on the efficiency of the drug.