Do you have hair that is thinning, patchy, or growing in an unfavourable way? If so, you may have started to wonder about a hair transplant, and whether or not you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. This is a very common thought process and it is one of the very first questions that patients ask us during their consultation. If you have ever asked yourself “am I eligible for a hair transplant?” then this guide is for you. We are going to outline for you the basic criteria that you need to fulfil in order to be eligible for the transplant procedure, and we will also discuss what would exclude you from having a hair transplant.
Hair Transplant Eligibility
Thankfully, the eligibility criteria for a hair transplant procedure are inclusive enough that almost everyone can undergo the treatment. You are a perfect candidate for a hair transplant if:
● The current state of your hair is making you unhappy, affecting your mental wellbeing, holding you back in your personal life or if you feel as if it is limiting your potential professionally.
● You are experiencing premature baldness, thinning of the hair, a receding hairline or a combination of all three of these things.
● You have sufficient hair in on other locations of the head to be used as donor sites.
● You have been diagnosed with a medical condition that would facilitate the need for a hair transplant, as without one, the hair would not grow. An example of a diagnosis would be that of androgenetic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness.
● You are planning to be wholly committed to the aftercare of your new hair. This involves avoiding tobacco based products and excessive alcohol consumption leading up to your procedure date, and after the procedure as well. Your surgeon will also provide you with an extensive aftercare plan which you must follow in order to achieve the best results from your hair transplant.
● You are realistic about what a hair transplant can do and the amount of time that is required for your new hair to start growing. Typically, you can expect to see results in a couple of months time, and whilst a hair transplant cannot restore completely a full head of hair, it can reverse the ageing process considerably and provide people with a new lease on life, improved self-esteem and a renewed confidence.
Now we are going to discuss the conditions or situations wherein you would not be eligible for a hair transplant. These are limited in number, and thankfully most of the people that come to us are eligible for a hair transplant procedure. You would not be eligible for a hair transplant procedure if:
● You currently have a full head of hair, this however would be down to the judgement of your consultant and should you have long hair on the rest of your head but thinning in problem areas then we may be able to complete a hair transplant
● You do not have enough hair at the donor sites to facilitate the transplant itself. Donor sites are almost always at the back of the head or sides of the head.
● You are completely bald or at the very latter stages of male pattern baldness
● Your baldness is because of a medical condition such as alopecia areata – an autoimmune disorder that can cause sporadic and random hair loss.
● Your hair loss is due to stress-related conditions
● Your hair loss is due to radiation therapies, as this will, once the radiation therapies have stopped, grow back on its own.
● Are 21 years of age or younger. Under special circumstances, such as a medical diagnosis then a hair transplant procedure can be performed on an individual under the age of 21 however it is not widely recommended. This is because the consultant is not able to understand how the hair will grow with time or whether hair loss is completely permanent. If baldness has started from such a young age it also means that complete baldness could occur soon and therefore the donor site availability would affect severely the potential effectiveness of the transplant. Lastly, the minor scarring from FUT or FUE procedures may restrict the patient in how they style their hair in later life.
If you would like to talk to us about hair loss, about a hair loss procedure you wish to undergo or simply to find out whether or not you a suitable candidate for hair loss treatment, then please get in touch with a friendly member of our team today to discuss your eligibility. You can book your free consultation with an industry recognised professional in London, to see if you can restore your hair and start your new life.